Monday, May 4, 2009

Why did I get myself a blog? I could tell you that the aliens who have taken over my body directed me to do this. But more prosaically, two reasons, one of which I will discuss in this posting: my wonderful nephew showed me how easy it was to do it and through a very generous gift, he also provided me with an item I would like to discuss - the proliferation of weird chocolate pairings. I yield to no one in my worship at the altar of chocolate. But I don't get the idea that virtually anything you can toss into it is worth trying. I don't see where adding tea has value; why not just have a "cuppa" and a slice of chocolate cake? What do Chinese 5 Spice, balsamic vinegar, and (yuck) goat cheese bring to the party? And who invited them? They have their own soirees to attend. I say if you are a heroin addict, you want your heroin uncut. And if you are a true chocolate fan, you will want only a few trustworthy additives that enhance the experience rather than make you wonder what fell into the vat by mistake. Comments welcome.

2 comments:

  1. You make an *excellent* point.

    There are so many permutations of chocolate and nuts/fruit/tea/cheese/ out there that it's amazing.

    So do tell - of the pairings that you have witnessed, which do you look the least favorably on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are a chocomaniac, then I am a chocoholic. I shudder to think just how much chocolate I've eaten over the past 60 years. I agree that plain pure chocolate is *always* the best choice (although, by definition, there is no such thing as truly inedible chocolate). Nuts, fruits, some soft type caramels are fine; no liquor, please. We have a store in town specializing in those weird additives--teas, cayenne pepper, licorice powder, and a bunch of things I can't remember. I tried one or two samples. And while they weren't awful, they defeated the purpose of eating chocolate. As for goat cheese chocolates--there ought to be a law.

    ReplyDelete